Podcasts

  • With... Bethany Turner-Pemberton - Sassy and Sam chat to researcher and curator Bethany Turner-Pemberton. Bethany is PhD candidate in Textiles and Museum Studies at Manchester Metropolitan...
    1 day ago

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:07 pm by M. in , , ,    No comments
Wattpad's project She Persisted includes an essay on Charlotte Brontë by Juliet Lyons:
I've been fascinated by the Bronte sisters since my teens when I stumbled across the book 'Wuthering Heights'. I'd never really heard of the word wuthering until then. All I knew was that it sounded mysterious and romantic and just a little bit dangerous. I holed myself up in my favourite section of the school library, poring for hours over the works and lives of these extraordinary women who seemed to defy the very era they lived in, achieving so much from a tiny, barren corner of West Yorkshire.
Such is the power of the pen.
Though I loved Emily's poems—what shy teenage girl wouldn't enjoy her reticent outpourings of grave inner turmoil—it was Charlotte I really admired. Charlotte had Gravitas. (Read more)
Orlando Sentinel talks about the Bachelorette reality-show:
So Peter and Rachel parted in scenes so wrenching that you would have been justified in turning off the set. They were the reality version of Heathcliff and Cathy in “Wuthering Heights.” (Hal Boedeker)
A former editor of the Charleston City Paper remembers how she was hired:
I'm really not sure why Stephanie Barna decided to hire me when I applied for the editorial assistant job in 2007. Weeks after graduating from a small Virginia liberal arts school, I was poorly dressed, meek, and I'm pretty sure I blushed furiously throughout the interview. When she asked me what I liked to read, I replied, "The Brontës." (Classic English major move.) She even likes to tell me that I blew the editing test, although I always suspected she was lying about that. (Erica Jackson Curran)
Economía y Negocios (Spain) reviews the book The Literary Book of Economics by Michael Watts:
Debo admitir que a veces las sugerencias de Watts me parecen un poco exageradas o controversiales, pero al menos son imaginativas. Por ejemplo: analizar el matrimonio de Catherine en Cumbres Borrascosas de Emily Brontë, en términos del interés propio. Es decir, en términos del gran motor social identificado por Adam Smith como el impulsor de resultados socialmente deseables. (Arturo Cifuentes) (Translation)
Wyborcza (Poland) discusses sexism in current Polish politics:
W literaturze kobiety uchylające się od małżeństwa i wypełnienia swojego „biologicznego przeznaczenia” (pojęcie z „Opowieści podręcznej”) to wiedźmy i wariatki. Ich miejsce jest na strychu (jak w „Jane Eyre”) lub na stosie. Nie w centrum społeczeństwa. (Joanna Hebda) (Translation)
On #internationalcatday yesterday AnneBronte.org posted about Tiger and Tom - the Brontë cats. Bernadette's buchwelten (in German) and Vintage Sapience review Wuthering Heights. living read girl reviews Sarah Shoemaker's Mr Rochester among other books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment